GAL is a powerful feature within GAPPs, that makes the tedious typing of email addresses a thing of the past. All you have to do is start typing a name, and GAL will attempt to 'autocomplete' the address for you. The more you type, the more accurate the guess gets, until ou can just choose the one you want.
GAL is not automatic, our dear colleagues in IT support manually upload these lists into Google for them to become accessible. For this reason you may not always find that they are ready when you want them, especially at the start of the year.
When class lists are active in GAL (Global Address Lists) you will know, because if you start typing something like 'anf' in the address field in Gmail, the class list will come up, you may need to wait a few seconds for it to appear, patience, patience, patience!.
It will look something like 'email@example.com.
Only teachers can use these lists, not students.
If you're wondering who is in a list, or even if a list is active, go to Groups on the black Google bar, search, and click Members on the far right to view the list of members if you're in the group.
If you're not a member of the group, just click where it says 'You may view the list...'
If you find an anomaly, you can't change these lists, but IT support can.
If you need to make student group for a teaching group, like your Maths class, then:
- Log into the CIMS system from the UWCSEA Staff Portal
- Navigate to 'My Staff Profile' then select Teaching Sets, click a class
- Click on the email student button at top right
- Copy the students email addresses - click Command + A, then Command + C to copy all
- Open a new tab with GMail and select Contacts from top black menu bar
- Scroll down to create a New Group from the sidebar
- Name the group with something that is precise
- Click at the top + symbol and paste in the students email addresses...